The history of Phi Delta Theta is important to understand more about our Chapter and how it came to be. Below is an excerpt from Phi Delta Theta’s official website:
As the Christmas holidays approached in 1848, the atmosphere on the Miami University campus in Oxford, Ohio was gloomy and uncertain. This was the mood in which Robert Morrison suggested to a close friend and classmate, John McMillan Wilson, that they consider putting together a new collegiate brotherhood.
Morrison and Wilson, thinking in terms of providing a permanent base with growth potential, sought out underclassman that they believed they would be dedicated to their cause. Thus, juniors John Wolfe Lindley and Robert Thompson Drake were approached, as were sophomores Ardivan Walker Rodgers and Andrew Watts Rogers, all of who accepted the concept.
All six men were among the group of Miami students who did not attempt to go home to join their families for the Christmas holidays. Winter travel conditions were difficult and could often prove perilous due to harsh winter conditions.
The need for close companionship had to be evident when the six met the night of December 26, 1848 in Wilson’s second floor room in Old North Hall, directly above Morrison’s room. They firmed up their desire to establish a brotherhood.
They met two nights later in the same room to consider an appropriate motto and constitution. Morrison and Wilson put the consensus of these ideas into the terminology that became The Bond of the Phi Delta Theta. This is the same Bond that every initiate into the Phi Delta Theta Fraternity has since signed.
On December 30, the “Immortal Six” put their signatures to The Bond of the Phi Delta Theta in Wilson’s room. Their names remain a vital part of the rituals that continue today in every chapter room across the United States and Canada. The Bond has remained unchanged from that day to this. So far as it is known, it is the only document of any fraternity of such a character and it is easy to understand the veneration with which all members of Phi Delta Theta regard it.
Phi Delta Theta now has nearly 190 active chapters and colonies in 42 states and five Canadian provinces. The Fraternity has initiated more than 250,000 men and currently has more than 160,000 living alumni. There are over 100 recognized alumni clubs across the U.S. and Canada. The Fraternity operates from the General Headquarters building on South Campus Avenue, across from Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.
– Phi Delta Theta GHQ
The Ohio Eta Chapter of Phi Delta Theta was founded on November 28, 1896. It is one of the oldest fraternities on campus today, and has existed continuously for over 120 years. Today, the Chapter House is located at 2225 Murray Hill Road in Cleveland Ohio. Below you will find our three cardinal principles, which have remained unchanged since Phi Delta Theta’s founding. Friendship, sound learning, and moral rectitude guide our Brothers throughout their college careers and are remembered for the rest of their life. Interested in joining? Click here to learn more.